Any graphic design work is normally comprised of one or more than one graphic design elements. A graphic designer understands how to apply those elements to create a graphic interesting to the people. Albeit, the elements of graphic design should not be overlapped or confused with the basic principles of design. These principles are balance, focal point, using white space etc. The elements of design are the functional things or main components of design, like color, type as well as images. Probably you have seen few designs and thought you could do that, those are not much difficult. But later, you sit down to design those images and come to know they have done by professional graphic designers.
Elements of Graphic Design
Here we have listed some of the most common, but important used elements in graphic design. You do not have to mix them all in any work, according to your need you can use them. The use of lines, shapes, color and other things in a design may give your image a great balance without the use of a picture, for instance.
1. Shapes – From primitive pictographs to contemporary logos, shapes are the basic of design. They can be geometric, like triangles, circles or organic, like any form or free form. They can be soft curved or hard edges. Shapes create movement as well as flow, leading the vision from one to another element.
With the help of graphics software, like Photoshop or Illustrator, you can easily create and manipulate the shapes.
2. Scale – Scale in graphic design has a big influence. It shows how your audience views and makes your graphics sense. A scale is not same like size, though most of the people tend to use them improperly when discussion graphic design. Size shows an absolute measurement, whereas scale shows a direct relationship between design elements.
When you use a scale, you need to have a sense of drama and the using importance, if you are a graphic designer, then you probably have.
3. Lines – Lines are normal things that are used to divide the space. Lines direct the vision and create new forms. As you see, straight lines are used in layouts to separate the content used in magazine, newspaper and mostly in web design.
Sometimes, lines are applied, means other elements of design that follow the way of line, such as type on curves.
4. Color – Colors are everywhere. Colors are so pervasive that they can seem either complete in a choice to a graphic designer or pose a difficult decision. Graphic designers have an understanding of using various colors theory.
Colors are some of the most important things that need special attention when mixing. There is no such hard and fast rule applicable, just using with artistic sense will do.
5. Type – Type is all around graphic designers, no doubt. In graphic design, the objective is not to just place pictures or texts; rather understand where to use and which type to use to make a graphics more attractive.
Need to have a complete understanding, the type and entire art which, when and where to use.
6. Art, Illustration, and Photography – A powerful and beautifully crafted image can make and/or break a design. Art, illustration, and photos are widely used to say something, stories, ideas, and emotions, so this section is important.
Many graphic designers are there who create this own work. They are artist or photographer. Sometimes they like to buy photographs at a certainly level of the price on many websites.
7. Texture – Texture sometimes refer to an actual surface of a design. The audience can feel the texture when it made in a unique way from the other elements of design.
Texture can make a text appear 3D, flowery, jagged etc. It can apply to a photograph or any other similar things.
8. Alignment – You just think of an alignment like an invisible axis, which runs between elements. These elements are connected visually either by edges or centers. Alignment is one of the essential elements used in graphic design. It comes up in the discussion of design frequently about a text as well as typography.
An application totally depends on the graphic designer. He or she will think how to and where you apply the alignment.
9. Contrast – Without proper contrast, designs will look not just as lackluster but boring. They are very difficult to understand. A lack of contrast is sometimes what separates the mediocre design from the designs that look very professional, clear, polished and lucid.
Only a professional graphic designer knows who to use and where to use it.
10. Space – Space is nothing but empty areas between your designs. In the time, you create a professional looking design, you should consider other elements with space, how they are arranging and grouping in composition.
A graphic designer with a high level of creativity knows how to and where to apply the space while creating a graphics.
There are hundreds of rules or methods you can get, and many principles are there that could help you, but when you create a nice design, these ten elements will help you on and off the web. They are sometimes called basic and important elements of graphic design that ensure anything and everything you create is attracting, professional and perfect.
Hermit Chawla is a Marketing Manager at Spark design. The web and graphic design company. He loves to share his thoughts on logo design, Graphic Design, Exhibition Design, and more.