Once upon web developers were coding in HTML and creating still web pages with a simple header, footer, and body layouts. With the advent of web designing and web programming technologies, we have highly complex websites or web portals.
The modern websites or web applications are using responsive web design technologies, and all are mobile friendly. Integration of various services, extensions, and components are common.
The majority of websites are data-driven anyhow and hosted on cloud services. Moreover, the mobile app is integrated for the sake of extended services and user experiences.
Therefore, today addressing bespoke needs of unique businesses and industries are challenging requirements for the web designers and web developers. Myriads of web development technologies and their tools further making the job of web developers daunting.
In order to extend helping hands to the web developers, we have collected a list of 20 awesome tools for web developers who opt for success in delivering excellence in their work.
Instead of listing directly, we have preferred to categorize the web development tools according to the stages and needs of the web development process.
Web Development Project Research & Management Tools
Creating a project definition by collecting
- Project requirements (summary)
- Target audience
- Marketing messages
Based on the collected data, web developers prepare project proposals, project creeps, and Gantt Charts for web development project management. In due course, we can take help of various tools and the modern project management software prevalent in the market. For instance,
Project Management Software (PMS)
Project management system consisting of a web application, database management application, and mobile apps. The web application is generally hosting on VPS or cloud services for better and economic access to data and other services for desktops like big screen clients and mobiles like thing clients.
Project management system is a working and collaborating tools with real-time tracking features. PMS lets you break project in milestones, tasks, and subtasks.
Project managers can assign tasks and subtasks to the designers, developers, and QA team by giving deadlines, hence maintaining milestones of the project.
- It offers plan projects with ease and offer refined control with subtasks, recurring tasks, and dependencies
- Gantt charts enable visual details of the project process compared to initial planning
- Feeds are updating you with the latest in your project and help your team coordinate
- Timesheet feature allows all project participants to log billable and non-billable hours and can get invoice automatically and accordingly
- Reporting feature provides detailed insights into project progress through advanced analytics and business intelligent application
- Collaboration tools make collaboration of remotely teams seamlessly and spontaneously to take efficient decision
- Document management tools sharing of various docs, files, and folders easy and version control system ensures the availability of the latest copy of everyone
- Bug tracker features let you track bug, fix it, and test it
- Mobile app integration is easy and with seamless experiences
Tasks Management Software
Of course, tasks management is a part of project management, but slightly different from it. PMS allows you to set a start date with an end date and definition of deliverables. With tasks management software, you can set unending tasks in unlimited numbers and manage all with real-time updates easily.
- At one glance, Trello can tell you:
- What’s being worked on
- Who is working on what
- Where something under the process
- About all projects and tasks
It eases newbies to follow list and card within few moments.
- Budget management
- Bug tracking
- File sharing
- Idea management
- Issue management
- Milestone tracking
- Project planning
- Resource management
- Task management
- Testing & QA
Collaboration Management Software
Collaboration software enables sharing and communication easy by comprising apps and services. Thus, participants can handle text chats, voice calls, video calls, video conferences, and VOIP for smooth and comfortable conversations.
File and folder sharing makes easy with the help Dropbox, Google Doc, and other doc storage and sharing services besides file upload/transfer.
- Slack is an excellent online tool with private backchannel chat
- It is superb for nonessential communication and discussion
- It has apps for all devices including mobiles and desktops
- It is real-time cloud-based tool
- It uses Channel feature to create spaces for different teams to converse and share docs
- Anyone can join in channel within an account
- You can name and rename the channels for ease and understand the structure of teams
- Private conversation and direct messages are allowed besides the team or group
- Private channels have lock icon while public has # – hashtag
- Customization of Slack is easy with enough documentation and tutorials
Prototyping brings ideas to life before writing a single line of real code. It enables quick ways of iteration ideas among the team and clients. Modern interactive and mobile-friendly prototyping tools enable us to create highly interactive, dynamic, and ready to design prototypes in the form of wireframes as well as design prototypes in desired file formats.
If you want to leverage advancement of prototyping technologies and tools available in the market, select your tool set out of following list and references.
- It offers fast and seamless prototyping experiences
- With a single click, you can turn your prototypes in production ready website
- Have visual CMS to create powerful and dynamic websites without writing any code, so freelance web designer prefer it instead of searching a web developer
- It supports responsive design for all kinds of computing devices with web browser including smartphones and tablets
- It lets you design animations
- It can integrate your live prototypes with 400 services including Slack, Google Drive, MailChimp and so on
It is one of the most favorite prototyping tools among the web developer community across the globe because it constantly advances by adding new and relevant features to be contemporary.
- It has convenient commenting feature that assures constant flow of feedback without disruption in designing
- Project management page lets you organize design component into a status workflow
- You can customize columns with a drag-n-dropped feature for various tasks such as:
- In progress
- Needs Reviews
- The Boards feature allows you to make projects live and also act as presentation tool, asset manager for the projects, and space for Mood-Boards to share with clients and team
- InVision supports various files and file formats from Sketch, Photoshop, animations, and link pages to simulate real-life scenario of your website
- It integrates various cloud storage, testing services, and communication software for ease and advanced functionality
No.6: Adobe Comp
Adobe Comp lets you create responsive web design layouts for various devices and also allows it integrate with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign like designing software.
With Adobe Stock and Typekit, it provides you images, graphics, and hundreds of fonts for prototyping. Adobe has created enough documentations for learners and Behance like the network to collect feedback to improve it further.
Web Designing Tools
Despite ever-changing landscape, Photoshop is still relevant and contemporary with the latest updates in features, functionality, and compliances. It is a great tool for creation of UI elements, web graphics, wireframes, and functional mockups.
It consisting of responsive templates for responsive web and mobile app designing. It has a complete set of color swatches and various UI elements, which are ready to use.
It offers the latest compressing engines and compatibility for all kinds of file formats to export the design and integrates illustrators like software.
Illustrator is a tool based on points and math and vector has a big part in the creation of artwork in the era of responsive designing. Besides PNG, it supports JPG, GIF, and the latest adoption SVG on the web. Illustrator is a part of the creative cloud and offers access to TypeKit library.
Today responsive web designer prefer grid base design and illustrator has framework containing fluid grid (CSS) to give pixel perfect design outcomes. Illustrator lets you create a wireframe, prototypes, and complete design whatever you need.
It has tons of time-saving features like symbols, texts, graphics styles, live shapes, dynamic buttons, swatches, and much more.
Modern web design technologies are shifting, and Photoshop/Illustrator like programs fall short as UI and web design tool in modern contexts. Therefore, Sketch is now the choice of many.
- Everything on Sketch is vector so scaling easy in responsive web design era
- Smart guides allow you to complete snap-align all layers
- Built in grids make changes in the column or gutter width easy
- Infinite Canvas lets you create multiple artboards for responsive design instances
- Native font rendering is closer to the web, so differentiations in looks have not any room
- No need to slice and exporting is easy even for retina display resolutions
- Due to essential only features, software in never bogged down
To address the intricate web programming challenges, web developers should have more than an IDE or simple text editors. Web development companies are working in collaboration with team and clients so sharing libraries, keeping versioning, tasks management, communication, and testing should be in the collaborative environment.
Therefore, most of the modern tools are cloud based or use VPS hosting for local servers too. Let’s check which tools are viable in present moment.
- Running in Windows environment
- WYSIWYG interface
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- Multiple views and Docs support
- Drag-n-drop interface
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting features
- Macro recording and playback
- It has cross-platform supports for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X
- Advanced code editing features
- Multilingual supports
- Multiple programming technologies support
- Multiple frameworks support
- Teamwork facilitation
- Features to keep code quality high
- Offers integrated environment
- Room for customization and extensibility
- It is a preference of seasoned programmers of all major computing OS platforms
- It has built-in Macro language
- Plugin available for extended features and functionality with managing interface
- Auto indentation
- Auto syntax highlights
- Support for a vast character encodings along with standard
- Selective folding
- Word wrap feature
- Configurable and customizable
Testing is essential to assure the quality of software or website/web application. Today we have various testing frameworks for software testing, GUI testing, load testing, security testing, and unit testing.
- Flexibility to create different testing scenario
- Supports hundreds of web technologies
- Has powerful correlation engine
- Auto-detection of bottlenecks
- Generating load on cloud or premise
Web automation tool as a plugin in the browser, Firefox.
- It can record and playback
- Easy to use IDE and tons of features
- Easy execution
- Supports for Java, C#, PHP, Perl, Python, and Ruby like languages
- Supports for all major browsers
- Easy integration with other testing tools
- It is best to write repeatable tests
- It follows architecture of xUnit framework
- It is excellent software to write and run automated tests
Checking the availability of domains and getting appropriate suggestions is an important task for hosting. However, hosting providers have own tools on their websites, but an independent tool can make a difference to make the right decision.
- Domai.nr lets you check the availability of your selected domain names
- More suggestions available against your given domain name
- It fast and accurate
- It is a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) tool
- Help in website deployment and maintenance
- Allow file uploads and downloads
- Support multimedia content for file transfer like images, audio, video, and text docs
- Automate file transfer process
- Sync local and remote files
- Solid backup system
There are many online tools available for free and need to enter your data.
- It lets you estimate the amount of traffic in GB/Month
- You need to give expected monthly page views
- Need to give average web page size
- If you want to know what is happening on your website, Google Analytics integration is a must.
- It provides overview and details of your web traffic
- You can find granulated data with the best presentation
- Reports are available in visual formats like graphs, tables, and charts
- You can save reports or download in various formats like datasheet, PDF files, docs, and so on
- You can examine conversion funnels and measure success of your marketing campaigns like PPC, SEO, and SMO at once
Instant messengers are inevitable tools for the modern web developers. Skype lets you make textual chats, exchange docs, images, videos, and other content files easily.
You can make direct phone call from the Skype and create video chat conference with clients or the entire team.
The listed tools are top tools used by the majority of web developers to create small to big scale websites or web applications. There are other tools used in the various projects, and those are programming technology specific, so we have avoided listing those here.
If you are in search of an impeccable team of web developers who are accustomed to all major and contemporary web development tools and capable of delivering desired results, we can help you.